Attractions in Sunny Beach
Holy Crap!! This is the only thing that comes to mind after seeing how fast people slide. Find out what it’s like to fly from 18 meters in the sky and land in wet for less than 6 sec. X-treme reaches heights and speeds once considered impossible.
One of the symbols of the city is the wind-mill, which is located in the middle of the isthmus. Three windmills in Nessebar have been preserved. The first is before the isthmus leading to Nessebar, one that is located on the isthmus and the third – on the north coast, near the church “St. Mary Eleusa.” The first two are currently restored.
During the centuries a lot of fortified systems have been built which made of the peninsula an impregnable fortress. Every year on the city’s celebration day 15th August there is a unique 3D Mapping show – Sound, lighting, multimedia and design, laser show, LED screens.
The church “Virgin Mary” was built in 1884. It is a monumental basilica. Stained glass, frescoes and icons are new – from XIX and XX c. Today the church is performing christening ceremonies and weddings.
Archaeological museum in Nessebar was created in 1956. The museum was moved in a new building in 1994, constructed on a special project of architect Hristo Koev. An exposition “Nessebar during the Ages” there containing numerous cultural monuments, presents the history of Antic Messambria and Medieval Nessebar.
“The Old Nessebar” ethnographic exposition is arranged in a representative of the National Revival period house, built by a wealthy local merchant in 1840. It is a two-storey house consisting of a stone ground floor and a timber-framed residential second floor occupied by 5 rooms and a spacious central salon with carved wooden ceiling, ornate in the middle by a big star-shaped rosette.
The Church Christ Pantokrator (All Powerfull) is dated back 13th – 14th century. It’s one of the most remarquable and well preserved medieval churches in Nessebar, typical for the picturesque style in the religeous architecture. The church is rectangular with dimensions 16 m in length and 6,90 m in width. It possesses two entrances – to the south and to the west. On the eastern side there are three small richly profiled apses.Today the church operates as a museum.
Emona monastery “St. Vlasii” is located in the center of Sveti Vlas. There is evidence that the monastery reached its zenith during the XII-XIV century and especially in the XIV century during the reign of the Bulgarian Tsar Ivan Alexander. Monastery existed until the XVIII century, when among other Emona monasteries had been destroyed by rampant on this end-robbers pirates.
Irakli Protected Area is located 5 km from Cape Emine and its total area is over 42 hectares. The area is remote from the large resorts, which makes it attractive for young people fond of camping. During the summer, in the area can be found many tents to rest here. The area is widely popular among nudists.
The beach on the South Beach in Nessebar is very beautiful – wide with fine and golden sand. Water is blue-green and crystal clear. The beach is very visited. The view from the air is unique – one part of the bay comes out and cuts in the seawater. Across, in the distance, there is a view of the old town of Nessebar – indescribable and unique atmosphere. There is a possibility to park free zone and nearby restaurants from which you can buy food and drinks.
Saint Archangels Michael and Gabriel Church (13th century) is one nave, cruciform with a narthex. Its dimensions are 13.90 X 5.30 m. There was a dome and in the west a rectangular tower, setting up over the narthex. A stone stairway, hidden in the west wall of the church leads to the tower. The temple has three doors – one on the northern wall towards the nave and two doors towards the narthex.
The St. Paraskeva Church (13th -14th century) is a single nave church. The church is built of hewn stone and bricks in rows. The southern and northern facades are ornamented with blind arches which drums are richly decorated. At present, following the “Faith in Nessebar” restoration project, the church operates as a museum. The exhibition arranged in the church is under the title “Surviving murals from lost Nessebar churches”.
The basilica was built at the end of 5th century and the beginning of 6th century. There were two periods in its construction, rebuilt subsequently in the beginning of the 9th century. It was an important part of the Nessebar bishop’s residence.
Terms (baths) in Nessebar were built in 6th century during the ruler of Byzantine emperor Justinian I the Great (527-565). About 2/3 of their area is studied – 5 warm premises – two of them with semi-circled pools, central hall and a corridor. The other part of the building is now under the streets and houses nearby.
The terms were discovered during the excavations in 1973-1975 and 1998-2001. The building is partly restored and conserved.
Saint Stephen Church, known as The New Bishopric, was built in the period 11th – 13th century. In 16th century the church was elongated and in the 18th century a narthex was added. Because of its architectural style, iconostasis and first of all because of its remarkable mural paintings, the church “St. Stephen” is one of the most important monuments of Bulgarian cultural heritage.
Basilica Holy Mother Eleusa (Tenderness) was situated on the northern side of the peninsula. It was built 6th century. It is a three-nave church with three more apses and a narthex. The two side aisles have two smaller apses pointing the North and to the South. The northern part and the central nave have sunk in the sea. The basilica is 28 m long and 18 m wide. In 1920 excavations and studyings started here. Now the basilica is well preserved and partly restored. In the historical sources the church is mentioned until 14th century, when it was a part of a monastery complex.
The church “St. Klemente” is from the seventeenth century. Since than until today it has remained the eastern part of the apse and the frescoes on it. The name of the temple has remained a legend among the local population.
Emona monastery “St. Andrey” is located in the central part of the resort Sveti Vlas. It is one of medieval monasteries, which form the Little Mount Athos and reached its zenith during the reign of Tsar Ivan Alexander. The monastery probably was destroyed by pirates. Today, it remained only one wall that is part of the fence wall. Near the monastery is the holy spring that has healing water.
Cape Emine is the easternmost endpoint of the Balkan Range. Located 12 km from Sunny Beach. The rocky headland divides the Bulgarian coast of the south and north. The beach there is very dangerous for shipping, because the cape is surrounded by hundreds of underwater and above water protruding rock formations.
In the area of Emine are the remains of the fortress Emona and medieval monastery. On the nose there is an active lighthouse.
In Nessebar was built a mosque, which has gradually destroyed when after the liberation the Turkish population left the city. Its minaret was preserved until 1961. There were two Turkish baths. The first was from XVІІІ century and is located on the north coast. Currently it is preserved. Its appearance is humbling, but inside it was richly decorated. It consists of a corridor leading to the main room with a dome. On both sides of the corridor there is a small room. The second was located on the southern coast, in the church “St. John Aliturgitos” but is not restored.
The ruins of this small church, most probably built in 11th century, lie north of the Old Metropolis. It may have been a miniature family church, with a cruciform dome, three apses, and a square foundation. The bases of the three columns, supporting the dome, have been preserved. The church was discovered during archaeological excavations in 1968.
Saint Theodor Church was built 13th century and from this time are preserved northern and western facade. The other walls and the roof are built later. It is a single nave church with a narthex and apse. The facade is diversified by blind decorative arches of worked up stones and bricks. A space under arches is ornamented with staggered zigzag patterns of stone blocks and bricks. The church is long 8.70 m and wide 4.15 m.
Poroy dam is located 13 km from Sunny Beach. It occupies an area of 4450 acres. There are good conditions for commercial, recreational and sport fishing, boating and hiking. Poroy dam is accessible from all sides and its shores offer great places to picnic or camping.
The Church St. John The Baptist was built in 10th century. Its construction was made of rough stone and mortar. During archaeological excavations, part of a restoration project carried out in 2012-2013, it was found that the church was built on the foundations of an Early Byzantine three-nave basilica, dating from the 6th century. In its original plan, the basilica had one apse, semicircular inside and outside. Subsequently, two more semicircular small apses were added, one to the north nave and another one to the south nave.
Emona monastery “St. Nikolay Mirlikiiski” is located near the village of Emona, Nessebar Municipality. It was founded in the X century and is dated as medieval. Five centuries later Tsar Ivan Alexander donates property of the monastery. In 1805 it was destroyed, then was rebuilt. Today from the monastery is preserved only the church. It was declared a spiritual and cultural monument of national importance.